How good are your direct reports as managers?
Take a minute and think about your direct reports, how good are their management skills? Do you see any of the following:
- They are poor role models of values?
- Their people are not growing?
- There are too many meetings?
- Lack of ideas from grass roots?
- Lack of praise from managers? Punishment?
- They are poor listeners and learners?
These are all symptoms of poor leadership skills.
To overcome the problem managers need to make the following changes:
- Stop managing the work and start managing the workplace
- Stop controlling people and start supporting people
- Stop telling others what to do and start seeking ideas from them
- Stop stifling initiative/ideas and start encouraging initiative/ideas
- Reduce horizontal barriers and increase networks and project teams.