THE IMPORTANCE OF A CLEAR PURPOSE
The purpose statement answers the basic questions:
- "Why do we exist?"
- "What is our reason for being?"
Purpose is the ultimate energiser, this is why I have shown it as the sun. It's the thing we turn to when we need to remember why we are here.
When to use Purpose Statements:
- When managers and/or staff seem unclear why we are in business
- When new products/services are being developed that are outside the core
- Falling sales, profits, customers
- When energy levels are low
- When you find yourself lurching from crisis to crisis
- If your environment has changed
- When managers understand the Purpose but staff have no interest or knowledge about it
- If managers and staff have no common understanding of the Purpose.